Monday, June 4, 2007

The Question

When I looked at this weeks Billboard HOT 100 singles chart, I was very disappointed to see the less than expected #15 debut for Jordin Sparks, This Is My Now and #18 debut for Blake Lewis, You Give Love A Bad Name. It prompted me to write the following letter to Fred Bronson of ChartBeat Chat at www.billboard.com

Hi Fred, I feel cheated and I would guess that both Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis feel cheated, too. After five seasons of carrying over the "American Idol" finale feeling of energy into the record store to buy the physical singles of the top finalists, we were deprived of it this year. I have no single to add to my collection and wonderful sweet Jordin has to have the distinction of being the "Idol" winner who broke the streak of No. 1 singles. I completely understand that the times they are a changin' and no one buys physical singles any more, but the huge demographic of "American Idol" fans still does. We are music fans, collectors and chart watchers and this choice is very disappointing. I am certain that I am not your only reader who is writing to you about this and I am very interested in hearing your thoughts. Do you think there is any chance that the record company, or whoever makes the decision, will decide to release some physical singles after all?

No comments: