Thursday, December 26, 2013

More Favorite Songs of 2013

I recently listed my Top 10 Favorite Songs of 2013. Just for clarification let me explain that those songs all had to meet the eligibility for that list by reaching the Top 10 on the Billboard HOT 100 during 2013. I happen to be one of those people that believes that "It's not a hit until it's a hit on Billboard". Just in case you don't know, in order to reach the top of the Billboard HOT 100, a song must get the most sales and radio airplay for any given week.

There were lots of other songs that I loved in 2013 that failed to make the top 10 on the Billboard HOT 100 singles chart. Here's a list of some of my other favorites in 2013. One thing that I can say about all of these songs is that it's a shame it didn't get more sales and airplay to do better on the Billboard HOT 100 singles chart.

In the ideal world, great songs from Country, Pop, Dance and R&B would all find their way to the upper positions of the Billboard HOT 100.

Wagon Wheel - Darius Rucker: There was quite the controversy over the fact that someone would dare cover this bluegrass toe tapper by the Old Crow Medicine Show. I am far from being a purist so it did not bother me at all that Darius enlisted Lady Antebellum for background vocals and gave me my favorite new song for a slow and easy two step in 2013.  

Done - The Band Perry: With previous releases like If I Die Young and Better Dig Two, The Band Perry was the most morbid group ever wallowing in songs about death. I had no interest in paying attention to them and then they released Done. It is exactly the kind of song that is great to play loud and do a super fun line dance to.  

That's My Kinda Night - Luke Bryan: Luke became the ACM Entertainer of the Year and the top selling artist by releasing booty shaking, fun loving songs like this.  

Troublemaker - Olly Murs: It could have been created in a factory taking the best beat with the catchiest lyrics, adding the cute singer and the fun video and I love every bit of it!  

Sunny and 75 - Joe Nichols: No matter what the weather is, this song has the power to transport me to that fresh and fun place where it is free. easy, sunny and 75! Whipping around the dance floor doing a fast two step to this song is pure joy.  

Sleep - Allen Stone: I am so happy that VH1 made him a "You Oughta Know" artist because I absolutely love this song. Unfortunately, it seems like I am the only one by the tiny about of airplay it got. Oh well, maybe by listing it here it might get some more attention. :) 

All-American Boy - Steve Grand: How exciting to see a young artist be open and brave enough at the beginning of his career to be not only be openly gay, but to clearly express it in his songs and videos. Steve Grand genuinely expressed the feelings of having a crush on a guy that you can't have so sincerely in this song that it can't be denied.  

Redneck Crazy - Tyler Farr: While I am about as far from being a redneck as you can get, there is just something about this song that pulled me in and wouldn't let go. It's honest and sexy as hell. It makes for the best shadow dance of the night.  

Take Back The Night - Justin Timberlake: The 20/20 Experience was the biggest album of the year, but somehow this single failed to also reach the top of the charts. It is the clear stand out track for me that showcases all my favorite qualities about Justin. It has a classic smooth R&B groove with a funky horn section. It's great to dance to and sing along with so I have no idea why it stalled on the charts. 

Bottle - Leann Rimes: She has one of the best voices in all of music and she released a fierce collection of songs on an album called Spitfire in 2013. This track has the sound of a classic country tune and it is the best mid-tempo two step of the year. 

No comments: